Friday 17 November 2023

Card Reviews


As you can likely tell, I have not done my usual preliminary review for The Lost Caverns of Ixalan nor any of the Doctor Who and Fallout stuff. Nor do I presently plan on doing a little "after the release summary review" as I did for Wilds of Eldraine for any of these releases. I suspect this is the new status quo for other new releases too.

Spoiler season used to be one of my favourite times. I would get all excited about the new cards and doing a full set review was a great way for me to fully absorb the new stuff. While that excitement has been slowly and slightly waning for many years I finally killed it with my homemade cube project. Losing a bit of interest in something is a far cry from finding something to replace it. Now I have a different way to enjoy Magic more fully again I can't keep enough interest to keep my mind focused or even my eyes open when trying to read new cards. As with anything in life, you need to care to provide motivation.





Much as it feels odd to hang up the gloves on something I have been doing over a decade it is absolutely not something one should force. You need the passion and love to be there to make work not seem like work. I tried to force myself to play and test for Magic events back in 2006 when all the heart wanted to do was play the World of Warcraft. That made things worse and had me off all kinds of magic for several years. I nearly killed my hobby by trying to do things I didn't want to.

I've no idea on my future with Magic, I presume I will return to various forms of normal cubing at some point, although I have not touched a real Magic card since September when my homemade cube arrived. And even if I do return there is no guarantee I'll be reviewing cards again. I am quite looking forward to letting others take the lead on pioneering cubes. I suspect if I come to update my cube in a few years with all the cards I have missed in my break it will be quite the novel project. I'll be looking for other versions of me to see what cards they are putting in their cubes, following their lead and taking advice rather than handing it out! 

I have been enjoying documenting my progress on the homemade cube projects but obviously that is of incredibly narrow interest. I had assumed much of the views I had received so far on the project was just curiosity from long time readers. I think if that is all I put out it will not take long for those curiosity clicks to dry up. The home made cube posts are already significantly below other kinds of cube content posts on the blog with a Top X list generally getting the most, a new release review being second, and the rest all being a chunk less (but still higher than my latest offerings). Much as I do some general magic theory and stuff like Top X lists I fear that a lot of that will become increasingly less well informed if I am not keeping up with current releases (obviously if I am not reading and reviewing spoilers I am not buying new cards or updating any cube lists). There is no point releasing content for stuff if I don't know what I am talking about and I won't know what I am talking about if I do not have the play experience to back it up.




With all that said, I have no clue what the long term is going to look like for this blog. The short term will be dominated by my design projects and beyond that only time will tell! Thanks to my readers for the props and civility. The cube community is a good'un. It turns out when you are sufficiently small, and not trying to turn a profit, the internet can still be a lovely place.

5 comments:

  1. NOOOOOOOO
    Please come back.
    A top ten for powered cubes almost

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely miss the set reviews, though funnily enough, I gave up on keeping my real card cube updated as well. You inspired me to make a custom card cube, too. I hope you'll have a look when it's more fleshed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help inspire! Would love to have a look, and perhaps pinch some ideas. Still having a real blast with mine.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all your writing over the years! Your blog has probably been the resource that's most influenced my own cube design. I think I've reached a similar point — a few years ago I had the thought that I'd stop updating the cube once there were 30 years of cards to pull from. Now we're there and the influx of UB cards has solidified this position, in addition to an increasing desire to have a cube which decently showcases Magic's history rather than being mostly cards from recent years. I've also been exploring peasant as I've found they've finally printed and downshifted enough to allow for a format that is quite interesting and has tight gameplay, while also feeling like its own thing rather than just a watered down version of a regular cube.

    Wouldn't mind seeing a roundup of cards you've liked from the past couple years up to whenever you've stopped updating as those posts have always been invaluable.

    ReplyDelete