Wednesday 14 September 2022

Conclusions and Additions from Dominaria United

 

For the first time in a long while, perhaps since Kaldheim, I am excited for the release of this set. I do not know exactly why either. It is not so much the cards but more the feel of the set. I think it hits the nostalgia vibe well while looking the part. Yes, I still have all the same old criticisms of Magic that I have held recently; too much product and too much power creep alongside some cynical product in the Modern Horizons and unique Secret Lairs (such as the walking dead). These are all still big turn offs for me but Dominaria United is not those things. It might contribute to card overload but you need some new cards! Beyond that the power level isn't offensive and it isn't price gouging player with otherwise unavailable cards or higher power levels. Dominaria is just a solid looking set with good core design that leans on the original and main IP of the game giving it a very classic and rounded feel. It has a lot more cards that have made me want to build with and around them than has been the case for most other sets over the last couple of years. I would like to put that down to good design but I actually think it is mostly down to me and my enthusiasm for the game. If I am into it I will find cards to build around and if I am not into it so much then I will not. I imagine I am just more into this set and so the cards look more enticing and fun. 

I do not expect to ultimately be adding that many new cards from this set to the cube. While I will test out a bunch most should fail to last. I do like most of the cards that I will be testing and look forward to playing with them. Most are well designed cards that will improve games and none have an oppressive power level. A lot has been added to the toolbelts of a number of tribal builds so that is always fun for the more constructed minded folk. 

I think I would like to see 3 releases like this a year and then one "other" release that could take any form from an un-set to anything else that isn't a Modern Horizons like set! I think that would have me in an ideal spot for Magic. I presume however that this is mostly just me being old and wizards being a company. We can't get cross at companies doing sensible things like price gouging if they can get away with it. That is just what market forces do! I imagine most players quite like the rate of release as it is, companies tend to be quite good at getting that sort of thing right what with it being so very much in their interests to do so! Still, wise to err on the side of caution in regards over printing and player burn out. A lot of the sales in Magic are driven by the confidence that cards will retain some value and that confidence comes from a stable player base. If too many old people with their sizeable old collections find themselves quitting the game and the secondary market has any sort of crash that will absolutely hit singles sales on the primary market. Not sure how I moved onto economics on this set review.... Obviously nothing more to say about the set. Good job. Cards. I like the lands.... 






To Add


Leyline Binding

Aether Channeler

Tear Asunder 

Rona's Vortex

Cult Conscript 

Jaya, Fiery Negotiator 





To Test With Some Hopes


Ertai Resurrected

Electrostatic Infantry

Tail Swipe

Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim 

Vohar, Vodalian Desecrator

King Darien XLVIII

Karn's Sylex

Serra Paragon

Phoenix Chick

Guardian of New Benalia 

Resolute Reinforcements 

Llanowar Loamspeaker

Evovled Sleeper

Shivan Devastator 

General Marhault Elsdragon*

Torsten, Founder of Benalia*

Tiller Engine*





To Test With Minimal Expectations


Ertai's Scorn

Llanowar Greenwidow

Shore Up

Vodalian Mindsinger

Balmor, Battlemage Captain

Rith, Liberated Primeval

Haughty Djinn

Anointed Peacekeeper

Drag Below 

Joint Exploration 

Cut Down

Golden Argosy 

The Phasing of Zhalfir 

Nishoba Brawler

Herd Migration 

Sphinx of Clear Skies 

Squee, Dubious Monarch

Sheoldred, the Apocalypse

Verrak, Warped Sengir*

Unite the Coalition*

Rosnakht, Heir of Rohgahh*






For the Constructed Reserves


Combat Research

Llanowar Stalker

Floriferous Vinewall

Shadow Prohecy

Valiant Veteran

Vesuvan Duplimancy 

Knight of Dawn's Light

Smash to Dust

Defiler of Instinct

Relic of Legends

Shadow-Rite Priest

Prayer of Binding

Baird, Argivian Recruiter 

Vodalian Hexcatcher 

Thrann Portal

Leaf-Crowned Visionary

Defiler of Flesh

Quirion Beastcaller

Sprouting Goblin

Timeless Lotus

Rundvelt Hordemaster

Walking Bulwark

Pilfer

Temporary Lockdown

Twinferno

Blightpile

Urborg Lhurgoyf

Defiler of Filth

Inscribed Tablet  

Founding the Third Path

Defiler of Vigor 

Tolarian Terror 

Writhing Necromass

Braids, Arisen Nightmare 

The Raven Man

Defilver of Dreams

Ramirez, DePietro Pillager*

Rohgahh, Kher Keep Overlord*

Mana Cannons*

Emperor Mihail II*

Historians Boon*

The Lady of Otaria*

Shanid, Sleepers' Scourge*

Dihada, Binder of Wills*


* Commander Product cards 




No comments:

Post a Comment